Sunday, June 5, 2011

OIL CLEANSING - Miracle Treatment for Acne Prone and Oily Skin

Throughout my life, I have suffered from moderate to severe acne, and as everyone who has experienced this knows, this can be a time when we feel much insecurity. Not only did I have acne prone skin, but that was coupled with oily skin and medications which exasperated the problem. It was only after coming into my 20's that this problem has greatly reduced..sadly they have left traces of their former existence, but it's such an improvement I really can't complain.

Oil cleansing has been one of the four main contributors to this improvement. It's rather simple actually and it makes sense. Oil cleansing is a double action treatment, it cleans your skin while moisturizing, which is vital to keeping skin supple and glowing, while slowing down the formation of wrinkles. Our skin produces natural oils called sebum, we need oil, but some people have overactive oil secretions, which lead to "greasy" looking skin.


Huh..why put oil on skin that is already oily?
This is the funny part. Contrary to popular belief, using harsh soaps and chemicals on your face, that strip away all moisture ,leaving it  completely dry are bad bad bad (lol).
 The fact is, oil cancels out oil, so massaging these oils onto your face will remove the excess oil on the surface, clearing pores, while still managing to moisturize and heal.
When doing oil cleansing there are two oils I would recommend, " Olive Oil and Castor Oil." I use equal amounts of both are store in a tinted sealed bottle away from sunlight , which reduces the potency.

How do you use it?
I shake the mixture first of all, and pour about quarter (25 cents) amount into my palm. I then rub this over my entire face and massage gently, but firmly over problem areas for a few minutes, the longer the better. After this I soak a wash cloth with hot water (not steaming!) squeeze out the excess, and let it rest on my face until it cools. This is repeated about 2 to 3 times and then I wipe my face gently with the wash cloth. Since I began this method I have edited to fit into my new routine incorporating black soap. Instead of using the wash cloth, I just wash my face twice with black soap (but that's another blog post on the benefits of black soap)

This method also completely removes all makeup, including waterproof products (but that's also another blog post :)

This website OCM  provides great information about the Oil Cleansing Method.

Thanks for looking

2 comments:

  1. I am so gonna try this!! It seems the older I get the more I break out! What is up with that!! Kiah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean and I hope you like it when you try it. Your skin looks great btw!

    ReplyDelete